Saturday, March 24, 2012

"The Hunger Games" movie review


Some friends and I went to see the movie “The Hunger Games” on Saturday evening. The movie stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, and many other actors and actresses. I hadn’t read the book before seeing the movie, and, to be honest, I didn’t have any idea what it was even about. Although it wasn’t my favorite type of movie, it was surprisingly very good.
                Although it was good, the whole movie was a little weird to me.  It was pretty good in terms of scenery, but I guess I would have to read the book to completely understand the plot and the concept of the story. There’s a few times where the special effect of fire is seen, which looks very fake and kind of throws the scene off. There is a lot of blood, which I was also not a fan of. The thing that I disliked most about the movie, though, was how the camera was so shaky. During the action scenes, I felt like I had no idea what was going on because of the non-stop camera movements. It was very hard to focus on just one thing at a time when the camera kept moving the way that it did.
Aside from the negative aspects of the movie, the main characters, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), had fantastic acting. They made the struggles and the love aspect of the movie really believable, and honestly kept me interested while the camera and special effects were distracting. The acting was very good overall, but I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get to see more of Gale Hawthorne’s (Liam hemsworth) role. At the beginning of the movie, it was kind of led on to believe that he was a huge part of the movie, but, in reality, we only see him for a total of about 15 minutes out of the whole movie. Again, though, I think that I would have had to have read the book to understand the entire meaning behind it.
The costumes and make-up were another thing that really caught my eye. They were put together very well and looked like they had taken a lot of time to get together. I really liked how they made sure of the small details in the make-up matching the outfits of the “leaders”. When the cameras did a close up, the make-up was consistent and flawless. I was pretty surprised on how well they did on this part of the movie.
Overall, I enjoyed the movie and it was worth the money to see. Although I didn’t know much about the movie or the story before I had gone to see it, it turned out to be better than I had expected it to be. There were a few bad aspects to the movie, but all in all, the movie was very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment