Saturday, April 28, 2012

Packing Up


Over the past seven months, there have been a lot of ups and downs. Coming to college was a whole different experience for me, and far different than what I expected it to be. Now, that I sit and pack up my dorm room, I am actually pretty happy to be going back home for the summer. Although it is nice to live on my own and do whatever I want whenever I want, I don’t have anyone here at college to do that with besides my boyfriend. I haven’t met anyone new that I can honestly call a “friend”, which is disappointing.
 I expected to be dreading the day of move out, anticipating to be missing all of my new friends. Now that it’s here, I can’t wait until I get to go home and see my actual friends and start my new job at the YMCA. I can’t wait to be able to experience all of the fun things planned for the summer; Wisconsin dells road trip, Eric Church concert, Rascal Flatts concert, State Fair, Valleyfair, the beach, going up north to the cabin, and many more.
The thing I’m looking forward to the most, though, is being able to start fresh next year.  I won’t have to live in the disgusting dorms, and, better yet, I won’t have to live on the Saint Paul campus. I will be living on campus in the apartments, with (hopefully) my own room with only one roommate. I will be able to start fresh with classes, because this year has been nothing less than stressful. I will hopefully have a good job, because second semester I was unable to work. I am really looking forward to being able to start fresh. I want that to count as my “freshman year” because I hope to meet new people, and just try to forget about the bad year I had this past year.
I have learned that through this past year, being so close to home has really gotten me through the year. My boyfriend, Evan, is nothing less than awesome. I’m glad that I chose to go to the same college as him, and I don’t know what I would’ve done without him to lean on. During this past semester, I have able to go home every Friday. I have been volunteering in my home school district with some amazing kids. The experience is truly amazing. After I get done volunteering, I get to stop at home and usually eat a home cooked meal or go out to eat with my family. I have become a lot closer with my mom.
Looking back, I have realized that just because I haven’t met new people at college, the relationships I had before I came here have only grown stronger. I have also learned that the kids I volunteer with are truly my new friends. They have filled the “new friendships from college” spot, in my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment